04/27/2021: The Board of Directors approved priorities for cycle 2 to be the same as cycle 1. Guidelines detailed below. Please contact Nancy Brown before applying. Applications for cycle 2 will be available by June 1, 2021.
2021 Mission-Critical Grants for Cycle 2
An important part of the Winona Community Foundation’s mission is realized though awarding community grants to meet the ever-changing needs of the community through a competitive process. By doing so, a variety of interests are supported with the goal of helping local charities make a difference in the Winona area. Our community grants for nonprofits are broad and inclusive to meet the current community needs in the Winona area.
We want to help our local nonprofits carry out their mission-critical programs and projects for 2021. We know nonprofits have been working hard at pivoting and reimagining programs and service delivery in the middle of the pandemic. The 2021 Mission-Critical Grants aim to help nonprofits move their essential work forward at this critical time.
These grants are competitive, so be sure to read information thoroughly prior to calling staff to review your project idea. After reviewing this information, if you don’t find the information needed or questions remain, Foundation staff will be pleased to assist you further as well as provide technical assistance with the application process.
Community Grants Overview from 2021:
- Cycle 2 is due August 1, 2021
- Maximum grant award is $10,000
- Nonprofits that received funding in 2020 are eligible to apply
- All applicants must discuss their grant proposal with Nancy Brown, President/CEO, prior to submission
- Who can apply: charitable organizations with a 501c3, government agencies or organizations with a fiscal agent agreement with 501c3 organization, operating within the Winona area for at least one year.
- Winona area is defined as within the City of Winona and a fifteen-mile radius from Winona. This includes Wisconsin and programs that have operations in Winona but may have headquarters elsewhere.
- If you received a grant in 2019 or 2020 from the Winona Community Foundation, a grant report is required before applying for this grant cycle. Contact Nancy Brown for more information.
Cycle 2 2021 WCF grants hope to support:
- Mission-critical programming, projects and operations (because we know you need people and tools to carry out your mission). Note: COVID-19 does not have to be a direct reason for the need.
- Mission-critical programming or projects identified as emerging needs due to the COVID-19 pandemic such as:
- Improving mental-health related impacts for clients or staff.
- Projects identified as a need to help vulnerable populations.
- Support for equipment and tools needed to safely conduct programming or services due to COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions (new purchases only, cannot be requested to reimburse previous purchases).
Grant requests must have a compelling answer to this question: “What are the potential negative outcomes that may occur if you don’t receive funding for your program or project?”